Registration: Class 69 - Best Odlums Madeira Cake (Please see Recipe)
Sponsored by: Castletown Cox Estate & Odlums
Classes 66-82: Prizes: 1st €35; 2nd €25; 3rd €15.
Galvin Trophy (Perpetual), donated by: Galvin's Bakery, Carrick-on-Suir, Plus €50 Kindly Donated by: The Late Kitty Coffey, to scorer of most marks in the Cakes Section.
325g/12oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
275g/10oz Caster Sugar
275g/10oz Soft Margarine/Butter
45ml/3 Tablespoons Milk
Few drops of Goodall’s Vanilla Essence/Extract
1. Grease & line an 8”/20cms round or 7”/18cms square cake tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper.
2. Pre-heat oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas 2.
3. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl & add all the ingredients. Bind all the ingredients together, carefully, using a slow setting in your mixer. Once the ingredients have combined, increase the speed & beat for 1 minute.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tin & smooth the top.
5. Cook in the centre of the oven for approx. 1½ hrs.
6. Test the cake by lightly pressing the centre. It should spring back & the top should be golden brown. To be extra sure, insert a skewer. If it comes out clean, the cake is cooked. Leave in tin for 5 minutes, & then turn out onto a cool wire tray.
rules & conditions:
1. NO ENTRIES ACCEPTED UNLESS PAID FOR IN FULL
2. Exhibits to be in place before 10.00 am. on Show morning.
3. One entry per person.
4. Entrants must accompany their exhibits at the show.
5. No late entries accepted.
6. Entries must be collected between 4.00 & 4.30 p.m. After this time Exhibits will be discarded.
7. Exhibitors are asked to have their names on the bottom of the jar.
8. Exhibits for sale should be marked accordingly.
9. One entry per person.
10. Entries are limited to individuals only; commercial enterprises & business entries will not be accepted & entry fees are non-refundable.